Find out what makes Pasig City's Ortigas Center one of the most progressive urban centers in Metro Manila.
Convenience and fun -- these are what most young and single urban professionals look for in a place when they search for jobs and living spaces. Since they don’t have their own families yet, these urbanites are usually willing to pay a premium on products and services that they can afford on a young professional’s salary.
The Ortigas area in Pasig City is conveniently located in the heart of Metro Manila. At the moment, it is considered as the Philippines’ second most important business district and boasts of many residential and commercial establishments.
Here are 10 good reasons why now is the best time to consider living in Ortigas:
1. Accessibility – Ortigas Center can be easily reached by private or public transportation. There are bus terminals along EDSA, jeepneys and FXs plying different routes, taxi stands in strategic areas, and two MRT stations (Shaw and Ortigas) to get you anywhere you’d like to go. Various parking spaces are likewise available within the area aside from those inside and outside the malls, hotels, and some office buildings.
2. Nice residential spaces – With increasing demand for accommodations, more property developments continue to rise within the Ortigas area. Aside from condominiums that are for sale or rent and hotels where business travelers can check in, there are also furnished serviced residences, like those in The Exchange Regency and the upcoming CDC Millennium Ortigas, which offer mid- to long-term accommodations. These kinds of apartments provide the privacy and comforts of home along with the convenient services of a hotel.
3. Wide dining selections – Food can take up a lot of one’s budget but, whether you’re on economy or splurge mode, you’ll definitely find a lot of eating places in this area. Aside from malls with fast food outlets, food courts, and kiosks, there are hotels with high-end restaurants, such as HEAT in Shangri-la Edsa Plaza Hotel that will satisfy your cravings for excellent cuisine. Then there’s also Metrowalk where you can buy tasty pork barbecues, bulalo, etc. even at midnight! Grocery shopping is also a breeze in major supermarkets like Rustans, SM, and Robinsons.
4. Numerous cinemas – Be updated with all the current films in the many movie theaters located in malls around Ortigas. There’s Robinson’s Galleria, The Podium, SM Megamall, and Shangri-la Mall. Recently, SM Megamall welcomed the public to its newly opened IMAX Theater and Director’s Club that can definitely make movie watching a totally comfortable and awesome experience.
5. Workout places – Living in Ortigas means you don’t have to go very far to find a place to exercise. There are gyms in many residential buildings and hotels as well as those found in malls. For individuals who have no budget for gym membership fees, jogging or running can be a great alternative, which you can do along the paved sidewalks of the city or in PhilSports Arena (formerly ULTRA) where there is a rubberized oval track that’s ideal for running drills and sprints. The place charges a minimal entrance fee, though, so make sure to bring some cash with you. In addition, one can do ice skating or go bowling in SM Megamall.
6. Beauty, body and skin care establishments – Release all the physical tensions and body aches accumulated from working in the office all week by getting a massage, having a facial, or letting beauty attendants give you a manicure/pedicure in one the mall salons or those located in different areas in Ortigas. Ace Water Spa also has a branch in Ortigas for those who’d like to unwind with water activities.
7. Fashion choices – For many urbanites, dressing well and having the right outfit is a must whether they’re going to the office or to a night out with friends. Ortigas is also home to a lot of clothing brands that produce various styles and designs to choose from.
8. Vibrant night life – After a long week, unwind at one of the many bars and restaurants that are open until way past midnight. Some have live bands to entertain patrons with music.
9. High quality health care – In case of medical emergencies or consultations, Ortigas residents can easily go to The Medical City, a tertiary care hospital in a world-class health care complex. It has a medical staff of over a thousand doctors who are experts in their fields of specialization.
10. Peace and order – Ordinary people can play a big part in preserving peace and order in an area. In Pasig City, residents are assured that there is Citizens Crime Watch organization that extends assistance to law enforcement agencies to help improve the community watch system as well as promote and encourage environmental and social economic development.
Ortigas is now home to a diverse and self-sustaining community composed of both Filipinos and foreigners who live in social harmony. The numerous establishments located in this bustling area ensures that residents will have most, if not all, of their needs within reach. It is a good place where one can conduct business, live comfortably, and enjoy life’s pleasures.
Photo by Ramir Borja/Wikipedia Creative Commons