Writing out your Christmas wish list? Feel free to put down ‘a new home’ in there. There’s no rule saying you can’t squeeze in your hunt for a new house or condo in between trimming the tree and making giveaway leche flan. Here are a few reasons why looking for a new home during the holidays isn’t such a ridiculous idea:
1. A lot of real estate developers offer promos limited only for the season. Sometimes they offer homes for really low down payments. Others even hand out free appliances if you reserve a property with them. Talk about hitting two birds with one stone!
2. Property developers aren’t the only ones offering promos during this season. A lot of banks also launch limited offers for easy home loans you can take advantage of so you can finally get the financing you need.
3. During the holidays, other home seekers might be too busy holding or attending parties to take their search seriously. This means less competition for you if you ever do find that dream home and are ready to make an offer right away.
4. A homeowner who puts their home on the market during the holidays is someone who’s eager to sell right away, even during the Yuletide season. This might be your golden opportunity to negotiate and buy the home at a much more affordable price.
5. There are real estate brokers out there who can always use that last sale of the year, so you don’t have to worry about not finding an available pro to work with you. And the best part is, since you’re probably one of the few they’ll be working with during the season, they’ll have all the time in the world to focus on you and finding exactly what you need.
6. Keeping your eye on the prize (in this case, a new home) prevents you from overspending during mistletoe season. If you keep your house hunt going, you have a reason to avoid splurging on gifts and parties, which means you’ll be ready with your down payment as soon as you find the right home and not feel completely depleted (or worse, fall short) when it’s time to buy it.
7. During the holiday season, you get a lot more time off work, which you probably won’t be getting any other time of the year. Why not take those free days and use them to finally check out that home that’s been on your ‘to visit’ list for the past few weeks?
8. People are generally in a good mood during Christmas, what with all the merry-making happening all around. During this season, people also tend to be a bit on the more charitable side, so who knows what a bit of prodding might do if you make an offer lower that what they’re asking?
Don’t put your house hunting on hold during the Yuletide season. If you play your cards right, you could be sealing the deal on a new home by Christmas. Wouldn’t that be the perfect gift for your family?