Moving to a new home can be an exciting new adventure for anyone. What’s not so exciting, however, is what happens before the actual move: packing things up. Things can easily get out of hand with all the frenzy, so you need to get organized. From someone who’s had a lot of experience moving from house to house, here’s the first part of a series of articles that will help you through the whole ordeal.
• Before you start loading things into boxes, figure out which ones you’re taking and which ones you want to donate or sell. This way, you won’t have to waste time packing them up and taking them to the new house, only to toss them out later.
• Keep a list of everything that you put in every box, and then number every box as they appear on your list. This way, you’ll have something to consult if you feel like you’re missing something, and you won’t be rummaging in all the other boxes to find one particular item.
• If there’s one thing I know about moving, it’s that you can never have too many markers. Or rolls of packaging tape. Also, when packing up china and other breakables, old newspapers (plenty of them) are your best friends. And you know those boxes that you keep of things like the microwave oven or the computer that you can’t seem to throw away in case you find use for them later? Well, that time has come.
• It’ll be annoying when boxes end up where they don't belong, so remember to mark every box clearly. In case there’s more than one bedroom, mark them with labels like “Bedroom 1” and “Bedroom 2”, instead of “Master Bedroom” or “Kids’ Room” to keep movers from getting confused.
• Back then, it would take weeks for us to unpack every single box. If someone needed something right away, they would open up a box, grab what they need and then leave the box that way. You can avoid this by asking everyone to take a duffel bag or luggage and fill them with things that they will need to use immediately, like clothes, towels, phone chargers and toiletries.
• If there are things in the house that you rarely use, it would be better to pack them ahead of time. This will get them out of the way for when you’re ready to box the rest of your stuff.
Now that everything’s packed and ready to go, how do you tackle the big move? Watch out for Part II of our “Moving Tips” series!
(Photo from freeimages.com)